Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Frogs galore!


Highway 41 runs through the Everglades from Miami in southeast Florida to Naples in southwest Florida.  Along that stretch of road you will find several restaurants - at least one of which is owned and operated by Native Americans.  You will also find that frog legs are on each and every menu for they are considered a delicacy in that part of the country.

I've had people tell me frog legs taste like chicken.  But that doesn't entice me.  I've never tasted them.  And if I want something that tastes like chicken, I shall buy myself a chicken.

It turns out that our new home in the Trilogy community is very attractive to those little green/albino tree frogs.  They get up in between the wooden ridges on our lanai and sleep all day, pooping meanwhile on the lanai.  In other words, they are inordinately pesky.

We've been spraying vinegar and water on them, but that doesn't do much good.  So we're going to try some other solutions in the future.  I must say, though, there aren't as many of these frogs as there were when we first moved in.  

The frogs are harmless, but frightful when they jump from the top of the patio and land on your nose, holding on with those sticky little feet!  And they are good in that they eat certain bugs and mosquitos.  However, it appears that, no matter their benefit to the environment, they're going to have to go.

The question remains:  How?

15 comments:

RedPat said...

A good question!

William Kendall said...

Very colourful!

I would just put up with them. If they keep the bug population down, so much the better.

Michelle said...

Phew! I wouldn't like them jumping on me. I have tasted frog legs before, but was not impressed.

Bill said...

Never had frog legs, not much meat on those skinny legs. :) I can't imagine them just jumping up and landing on your face, I'm afraid that would freak me out especially when you don't expect it. As for getting them to move on, tell them that you're the man of the house and they are not welcomed here any longer. New management and new rules. :)

Taken For Granted said...

Lowell, that is a cute frog. It could hang out at our house.

Kay said...

Awww. I put up with a number of things if I know they get rid of insects. But according to my computer frog predators include snakes, lizards, birds, and various small animals like hedgehogs. I'm not sure if you want to invite any of these things to your patio for dinner but it is a thought...
To answer your question today, I was wrong about the cost of moving the house to its new location. The cost was closer to $162,000 plus utilities. And it's a near original condition Sears 1916 craftsman kit house. Both the new owners are master carpenters. So I'd say it's well worth it.

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Uma rã muito bem decorada, gostei de ver.
Um abraço e continuação de uma boa semana.

Andarilhar
Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
O prazer dos livros

Lois said...

My father always loved eating frog legs, but I could never bring myself to try them. As for getting rid of your frogs, I have no idea how. I just put up with them at my house, but every once in awhile one gets inside. The worst is when one gets trapped inside the garage which is right next to my bedroom and I have to listen to it croaking all night!

Linda said...

I like frogs. This one is cute and colourful. :)

Small City Scenes said...

Does the good outweigh the bad? Maybe that is the question----sticky on the noses is not good.
The Skagit Co-op is alive and well here in Mount Vernon. I like the word Skagit--pronounced with a soft g
MB

Karl said...

Hey, a frog with sunflowers ! A new species ?
Nice !

Sharon said...

Jumping on your nose is certainly a problem that needs to be solved. I'm not sure what to tell you. The only frogs I see around here are in the pond at the Desert Botanical Garden and they are kind enough to stay there.

I remember many, many years ago on a day trip down to Nogales Mexico, my dad ordered frogs legs for lunch at a restaurant down there. Mom and I both cringed but dad said he always wanted to try them. He did eat them and he did say they tasted similar to chicken but, that didn't make either me or mom want to have a taste.

Revrunner said...

Another god reason for me not to move to Florida.

Andy said...

Please post photo of your nose getting roughed up.
Thanking you in advance. (’∽’)

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Eeew that sounds horrible Lowell, a frog landing on you I mean 😀 I can't help you with suggestions for getting rid of them, do you think it's a seasonal thing?

"Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again." — Henri Cartier-Bresson