Monday, May 16, 2016

Maserati at the Ocala Golf Course





The Ocala Golf Club is a municipal golf course and, in my opinion, one of the nicest courses in the Ocala area, excluding the exclusive private golf clubs.

The first shot is of the fifth hole, a par three over water.

One sees a variety of vehicles in the parking lot on any given day.  Usually there is a selection of sedans and SUVs and some pickup trucks.  A few of the sedans and SUVs are of the "luxury" class.

But I've never seen a Maserati in the parking lot before.  Yet, there it was, parked in a slot just like all the regular cars.

I don't know much about Maseratis, other than they are very expensive and usually driven by rich people.  When I asked about this car, I was told it probably cost between $100,000 and $150,000.

I liked it, but would be afraid to drive it on local highways and byways.

[The Ocala Golf Course is managed by Billy Casper Golf, an organization that operates over 140 courses around the world.  Billy Casper was a prolific American golfer, winning 51 PGA tournaments (ranked 7th all-time).  He was most active in the 60s and 70s.  

Casper died of a heart attack in 2015.  He is survived by his wife of 60 years.  In his 30s he joined the Mormon church and took seriously the charge given to Adam and Eve in the creation story to populate the earth - he had 11 children and 71 grandchildren!]

16 comments:

William Kendall said...

That's a Maserati? I pictured something more sporty.

RedPat said...

They never seem to be much to look at but they sure sound good when they rumble past you!

Taken For Granted said...

Like your photos. Lovely car.

Sharon said...

OMG, you had me laughing out loud with your story about hugging the tree.
That car probably belongs to one of Casper's grandkids.

Linda said...

Lovely photos, Lowell, and I just saw a Florida license plate here in Montreal just the other day! I was happy to see that we are getting tourists here from that area. I mostly see Vermont and New York license plates so it was quite nice to see a Florida one. :)

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Fun to know the driver would play at a public golf course, no matter how beautiful it is. I would sort of expect he'd belong to a private club. But I know nothing about people would spend that much on cars. And I know nothing about golf. Probably the first four words of either of those last two sentences would be enough (anywhere, anytime).

magiceye said...

Car photographed beautifully!

Responsible Casper!

Tanya Breese said...

isn't that funny...i don't know much about them either and wouldn't notice if i saw one...i worked for a mercedes dealer in san diego before having kids and it wasn't unusual to see expensive cars....now living in roanoke, it is odd to see a rare luxury vehicle!

Kay said...

Gee. I don't see anything exceptional with this car. The hood looks to me a bit like one of the Mustangs I posted today. I wonder how much of the $100K + goes to maintaining snob appeal.

stardust said...

Hello, Lowell! Maserati is new to me, but without your information, it didn't look so exclusively luxurious to my eyes. Casper really contributed to populate the earth. I was the most interested in the perspective of the first image.

Yoko

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Grande máquina.
Um abraço e continuação de uma boa semana.

Karl said...

A great car, Jacob, even if it is a bit too expensive for me...

Shammickite said...

I saw a bright blue Maserati in the doctor's parking lot last week, quite an impressive car! Ans unusual to see one around here.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Looks like an excellent golf course Jacob. Sometimes the public golf courses are just as good as the private courses and they are minus the exorbitant membership fees :)

Small City Scenes said...

I think it would be fun to drive that speedy little car. Tear up the roadway for sure. vwroom varoom!
Jeez 71 grands---couldn't handle it.

BTW: Benge school dist. has 9 students and 2 teachers in grades k-6. surrounding ranches supply the students I suppose.
MB

Halcyon said...

Interesting story. We see a lot of Porsches in the parking lot of our club.

"Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again." — Henri Cartier-Bresson