Saturday, November 22, 2014

Butterfly Garden at Rainbow Springs


Years ago the Rainbow Springs State Park, which we've featured on this blog numerous times, was a sort of mini-Disney World. There were rides, a small zoo, a rodeo, as well as swimming and kayaking. Some say it was Disney World that put an end to the old Rainbow Springs. Today, it's a great place to walk through jungle-like canopies where you will see a couple of nice waterfalls, the remnants of the old zoo and the Butterfly Garden which used to be part of the old rodeo arena. And you can also swim with the gators or kayak or canoe around them on the beautiful Rainbow River.

11 comments:

William Kendall said...

I don't think I'd want to swim with gators!

Kay said...

It looks like it's seen better days. I hope there are still plants that attract and feed the butterflies.

Randy said...

Kind of sad.

Anonymous said...

At least its spirit lives on in its new guise as just a park!

Judy said...

I would rather walk around a natural area than any amusement park. I hope the butterflies are still there.

EG CameraGirl said...

Sounds like my kind of place...except for the swimming.

cieldequimper said...

I'll stick to butterflies, thanks!

RedPat said...

I'd much rather see butterflies than a rodeo any day, Lowell!

Birdman said...

Now, you're chasing butterflies? This is what been your resigned to? Chin up, boy!

VP said...

I guess the place has seen better days...

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

On our 'to visit' list ... because of the waterfalls. Haven't seen any of those in Florida.

"Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again." — Henri Cartier-Bresson